The Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead was a purchase that I debated for years. I had a good ballhead (Manfrotto 469RC) as it was but it was a bit on the heavy side and the operation was getting sluggish. There were several posts by some world famous photographers boasting about this particular item but I just wasn't buying it... After all, a ballhead is a ballhead right? Time past and I just kept looking at it over and over. Needless to say, I made the purchase along with an "L" bracket for my camera and custom plates for my lenses.
Here are my findings:
- Relatively lightweight
- Very sturdy
- Smooth/flawless Operation
- Liquid Level on the clamp (great for doing panoramics)
- Solid Quick Release Lever and custom quick release plates
- Low Profile
- Fast locking knobs to hold the camera where you want
- Good tension knob with a large amount of adjustments possible
- Stylish... and really cool looking which is of course the most important thing... right?
- Really, the only con I can think of is the price tag. It's hefty but worth the money.
Check out Really Right Stuff for more details.
So, why would you spend this much money on a tripod head? The answer is simple; quality and reliability. The very first day I used the BH-55 I took a good tumble down the side of a mountain....it hit the rocks really hard and kept on working complete with battle scars. At least now it looks used....