We are seeing the release of two new Canon DSLR, the 6D Mark II and the Rebel SL2.
Giving you a full review of either of these cameras isn’t possible as I have yet to get my hands on either. However, I can lay out the specs to give you an idea so you can choose to pursue further information.
6D Mark II
Let’s start with the 6D Mark II by looking at the highlights of the new camera.
- 26.2 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor
- Optical Viewfinder with a 45-point All Cross-type AF System1
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Phase-detection & Full HD 60p
- ISO 100-40000
- Vari-angle Touch Screen, 3.0-inch LCD
- Built-in Wi-Fi®2, NFC3, Bluetooth®4 and GPS technology
- High-speed Continuous Shooting at up to 6.5 fps
- Dust & Water-resistant
Right off the bat the specs look really good. I would have expected better ISO performance from such a new full frame camera but a Native ISO of 40,000 is still very respectable (why not 51k? I don’t know…). This camera does not allow for 4K which is no surprise given Canon has been going down this road. Many believe, including me, they are trying to push people toward the more expensive Cinema line of video cameras. Pssst…. Canon… This is a dumb idea.
Still, all and all, if you are a Canon shooter or looking to get into a full frame camera this could be the one for you as it comes in at $1,999.00.
Now on to the Rebel SL2, this camera is clearly geared toward the beginner. If you are just getting into photography and you aren’t sure if you will like it then this is the camera for you. You can pick up the body for $549.00 or a get it with an 18-55mm kit lens for $699.00.
Here’s a quick look at the specs.
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) Sensor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD Touch-Screen,
- Built-in Wi-Fi®2, NFC3 and Bluetooth®4 Technology
- Full HD 60p & External Microphone Input
- ISO 100-25600
- Optical Viewfinder with a 9-point AF System
- Feature Assistant
- Small and Lightweight Body
So, if you are a Canonite today is a good day for you!!! If you are a Nikonian you may start wondering if they are still even playing the same game… Come on Nikon… I’m pulling for ya… I mean even the Cubs won the World Series so it’s possible to shock everyone!